Established in 1926, the Brown County Art Gallery promotes the work of Indiana's finest artists, past and present. The original founders, all classically trained in the US and Europe, were attracted to the beautiful rolling hills of Brown County in the 1890s. Then, in 1907, famous "Hoosier Group" artist, TC Steele, moved to the area, putting "Peaceful Valley", as the Nashville area came to be known, on the artistic map. Today the gallery promotes modern Indiana artists by providing subsidized gallery space for the display of their art. It also provides art conservation services, vault storage and historic programs and exhibits.